Our team at Harringtons pet food spent many years perfecting our kitten and cat food formulations to produce a healthy, balanced diet to help keep your cat in the best of health. We are now celebrating a milestone – our first birthday!
When we began formulating our cat food diets we considered several important factors:
1. Cats have unique nutritional requirements and rely on a meat and animal tissue to meet their specific needs.
2. Protein is an important factor in your cat’s diet. In the wild cats eat a high protein diet, this protein supplies amino acids which are often known as the ‘building blocks of life’ because they are critical to many bodily functions.
3. Cats require certain amino acids that can only be delivered via the diet; they cannot be synthesized in the body.
4. Taurine is very important to cats and must come from a dietary source. Taurine helps maintain amongst other things, healthy vision and cardiovascular health.
5. Although cats are carnivores, in the wild they will consume prey which inevitably contains small amounts of carbohydrates. Cats are unable to use carbohydrates as efficiently as dogs; however a small amount within a balanced diet does provide a source of energy.
6. We always ensure when formulating that we achieve a healthy balanced ratio of unsaturated omega 6 & 3 fats. Fats are important; they assist in the utilization of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E & K, provide energy and help promote a healthy supple skin and shiny coat.
7. A small amount of fibre in the cat’s diet helps to promote gut motility which in turn supports a healthy digestive system.
At Harringtons we have also formulated our cat food with extras including mannan-oligosaccharides derived from yeast to help support the healthy bacteria in the gut and cranberry known for its ability to help support urinary tract health.
One last thing; always ensure you provide your cat with unlimited access to fresh water. Cats by nature are not frequent drinkers and should be encouraged to do so especially when feeding dry food.
Here are some of our many Happy Customers: